The Abbey of St Thomas the Martyr

The Augustinian Abbey of St Thomas the Martyr was originally founded in 1177 on behalf of king Henry II. Though no physical evidence remains of St Thomas’s Abbey today, it played a vital role in the development of Dublin’s western suburbs, and it is remembered in the name of the street close to where it once stood. Dublin City Council acquired the site of the Abbey Church at Meath
Market (off Hanbury Lane) in 1996 and it is now a National Monument. Dublin City Council has recently commissioned research into this medieval complex to find evidence of its physical layout, the key historical figures and events  associated with the abbey, and its political, economic and spiritual role in the city of Dublin.

A series of events in Dublin 8 on 13th and 14th October will remember this
once magnificent abbey and its important role in the medieval city:

MEDIEVAL PAGEANT on 13th October from 11am to 1pm
Meandering through the streets of the Liberties, this community pageant will feature local school children in medieval dress: expect medieval monks, chanting workshops, bell ringing culminating in a children’s arts and crafts display in St Catherine’s Church.

THE ABBEY OF ST THOMAS THE MARTYR SYMPOSIUM on 14th October from 9.30am-5pm
A day of talks and lectures on the archaeology, architecture and history of the
Augustinians and the Abbey of St Thomas the Martyr. Speakers include Áine
Foley, Howard Clarke and Paul Duffy.

No booking required. All welcome on a first come, first served basis.

For more information on the abbey see libertiesdublin.ie/st-thomas-abbey/ or contact archaeology@dublincity.ie