- This event has passed.
A Local History Tour Through Clontarf, Killester and Raheny
September 30, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Presented by Raheny Library and the Raheny Heritage Society.
Raheny Library and the Raheny Heritage Society are delighted to present “A Local History Tour Through Clontarf, Killester and Raheny”.
Local History, no matter where it is researched, is always full of surprises. Three local historians, from Raheny Heritage Society – Douglas Appleyard, Noel Carolan and Joan Sharkey, present a miscellany of interesting, unusual and surprising insights into the history of Clontarf, Killester and Raheny along the famous Dublin to London Road.
Topics will include:
- A hamlet demolished to build a railway
- The legacy of Georgian developers in Ye Hollybrookes
- Hickey and his Triumphal Arch
- The train ambush
- The Farm Colony
- A Steam Tractor Ploughing Exhibition
- The murder of a gardener
- The burning of an RIC Barracks during the War of Independence
- The long-lasting built heritage of Samuel Dick
- A missionary doctor and her public memorial
More local history information is available at Raheny Library, and in various publications by Raheny Heritage Society, and several local historians. For more information on these topics, see www.rahenyheritage.ie